the marvellous world of marco

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tulane Padova: step 1

Hi everybody,

yesterday we started the exchange via skype with some American students of the university of New Orleans in Louisiana.

Since they were a bit less than us (Italian students), we spoke with them one to one or in small groups: for example, I spoke with a girl called Sarah together with one of my colleagues whose name was Alice in a kind of little conference by phone.

After the presentations, we had to speak about recycling, a topic we had prepared in class before, but actually we spoke a little about that with Sarah because this topic was a good point to start speaking about some other things more connected with "cultural" facts.

In this way, we discovered that she lives in the campus of the university and she told us a little how the campus is organised and that there don't happen exactly the things we see in american movies: the life there is not so full of parties as we imagine in our mind.

Then, she told us that the life in New Orleans is not so easy because Louisiana state has not been able yet to clean up and reorganise the city after the disaster caused by hurricane Kathrina in august 2005.
In order to return a little on the topic we had to discuss, Sarah comes from Washington DC and she said that her state is richer than Louisiana, so therefore is able to organise the division of waste and the order of the city in a better way than the city of New Orleans does. By my point of view, this fact was a little funny, because when I think about a state I think about a quite little and single state as Italy is, and because of this fact I tend to forget that United States are a confederation of various states that are different politically and economically.

Well, that's all I have to say as regards my first experience in skype.
Bye
Marco

1 Comments:

  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Dear Marco,

    While I'm happy if you learn about the 'issues' I propose, what's most important is that you get to know American culture better. Therefore, I'm glad to know you've learned things you didn't know before. Talking to people first hand is generally the best way to become more familiar with a culture, except, of course, actually living there!
    I hope you'll be able to make it to the other exchanges.

    Sarah

     

Post a Comment

<< Home